Policy Planning and Research
Foreign policy planning and research refers to the provision of analytical viewpoints of international politics. The Unit for Policy Planning and Research contributes to the formulation of foreign policy positions and guidelines and coordinates analyses and research.
Values and procedures are adopted from the strategy of the MFA, which emphasizes co-operation, creative and open-minded thinking, new types of partnership and a service-oriented attitude.
Research projects are conducted in co- cooperation with universities, research institutes and specialists in Finland and abroad. Other partners in co-operation include Parliament, public administration, civil society and the media.
- analyse trends in international politics and topical issues
- liaise with the academic community and outsource research projects research projects
- organise seminars, workshops and conferences
- arrange brainstorming sessions for senior offi cials of the MFA
- support departments of the MFA in planning regional strategies and meetings
- encourage dialogue between scholars and officials
- network with Parliament, public administration and civil society civil society
- engage in dialogue with national policy planners in the EU
- represent the expertise of the MFA
Fields of analysis include:
- EU Common Foreign and Security Policy
- European Neighbourhood Policy and EU Enlargement
- Lisbon Strategy and European Competitiveness
- US Foreign and Security Policy
- Transatlantic relations
- Role of China and India in world politics and as EU partners partners
- Engagement with the Islamic world
- Global governance
- Future trends in world politics
- Crisis management and state building
In the Research Co-ordination and Follow-up Team all departments of the MFA are represented. The team meets to discuss the current situation in research and analysis conducted in the MFA.